Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Zee Germans beat me at my own game!

About a year ago when my boyfriend started working in social video gaming I came up with a really great game idea: A homeless game (it didn't have to be for social sites). The bf was intrigued and wanted to learn more.

Over a romantic dinner we talked all about the details: As the gamer, you are a bum living on the street. Your goal is to stay alive, but you'll have a hard time reaching any success. You can do things like try to avoid drugs, or score drugs, find and keep a dog companion, make sure your possessions don't get stolen while you sleep, find and keep sleeping arrangements, figure out how to make money, etc. you get the picture. I provided the ideas and he relayed how it can be practical in relation to game theory. In the end this was a strategy-driven game and a social-commentary on how the other half live.

Well, turns out that the pessimists are right: no one has a unique thought.

To my dismay, a new hobo game has been released by some German company. It's a social role-playing game called "Street Rivals" where you're a bum and you can fight other bums, recycle bottles, and go dumpster diving.

Ugh. I'm so BUMMED! I wish the bf and I produced my game first! Well, maybe there's a chance since the two aren't exactly alike but have similar premises? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. This is a travesty, I clearly recognize that you were the orginator of this idea. Next time...

    ReplyDelete