Thursday, October 27, 2011

Beyond Our Conscious World

I studied abroad in England almost a decade ago where I encountered a funny little British elfish professor whose discourse mainly consisted of understanding the phenomenological mind and how it connects to the material world.  Needless to say at first it was a stretch for me to process these "new" ideas.  Then I recall the day it all clicked.  I was reading one of his books and seemingly out of nowhere I no longer struggled to understand his ideas.  It was the first course I took where I finally learned how to understand the material being taught.  My understanding went beyond concepts - I finally was thinking critically, metaphorically and attempting to apply it to my life.  Without knowing it this professor opened my eyes and mind to philosophy of psychology.  There is a world beyond our own and we impact one another in ways which we can not process without disclosure or extreme hyper awareness which is basically impossible.  Anyway, he'll never know how grateful I am as I venture to become a psychotherapist (and maybe one day a psychologist).

Thank you Dr. M. Velmans!



Max Velmans from Jaguar Mary on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment