Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bring on the Payne!


When i was in high school a bunch of my friends discovered this great new novel by Harvard grad, C.D. Payne called Youth in Revolt. it was a tome compared to what i was used to reading in school (about 900 pages from what i remember), but it was the fastest read of my life. None of us could put the book down! (plus it probably helped with our SAT vocabulary).

The protagonist, Nick Twisp, is a loquacious self-proclaimed genius 14-year old suburban boy trying desperately to lose his virginity to his unrequited love, Sheena, while rebelling against his jerk parents and any authority. Show me the teenager who wouldn't be consumed with this kind of story?

Now, about15 years later (am i that old?) and they finally made a movie and released this as a blockbuster to the world (yesss!!!).

Because this book played a part of my adolescent identity, i'm sensitive and proud of it... (but i have yet to see the movie.)
So, my friend casually brings up in conversation that she and her new quasi-boyfriend agreed that he's supposed to see a "chick flick" with her. This is our conversation on the subject:

Friend: oh! do you consider Youth in Revolt to be a chick flick? because (my guy) said it's a chick flick i'm like, um, no.
me: i consider youth in revolt to be AWESOME
Friend: YES ME TOO
me: i mean ok i loved that book and im a chick, but it's just transcendentally downright good. it's not anything like a chicky-romantic comedy
Friend: yeah, i didn't think so either
me: it's honing in on a young indie audience. (your guy) lost points.
Friend: i think he's just saying that so it can be used as his "chick flick" movie that he has to watch with me
me: yeah, no. it's about a kid trying to lose his virginity while revolting against asshole parents/authority; that is NOT a chick flick
Friend: yeah, i was trying to explain it to him. i think he just doesn't want to watch Leap Year haha
me: in the book there's this one part where he and his best friend want to see what it's like for a girl to give a BJ, and they test it on one another and his mom walks in....
Friend: hahaha i bet that's not in the movie
me: should be. would be awesome
Friend: (my guy) doesn't even know what the movie is about
me: then he's dumb

So i'm probably being way harsh Tai (may Brittany Murphy rest in peace), but you gotta admit he's gonna lose this one.

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad our conversation could be used as fodder for your blog.

    he definitely loses. he now has to watch both Leap Year and Youth in Revolt for his mistake.

    you should write a post about my coworker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, cara this is a convo with you? kick troll in the butt, she was way harsh!! ahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lord, I don't even know where to begin with that one!! that'll take some editing for suuuure.
    And yeah you need to take him to both those movies now, plus rent when harry met sally, french kiss (great chick flicks), and if YOU can handle it, for good measure/punishment, throw in that really crappy ultimate chick flick The Notebook.

    ReplyDelete